More and more patients are choosing the University of Chicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center at Silver Cross Hospital prompting the need to expand radiation therapy services.
“Over the past year, we have seen a significant increase in the number of new patients requiring radiation therapy,” said Theresa Quinn, executive director of the Comprehensive Cancer Center at Silver Cross Hospital. “And, they are appreciative of the care they receive. In fact, according to Press Ganey, we rank in the Top 1% in the nation for patient satisfaction.”
“To even better accommodate our patients, we have just installed a second TrueBeam™ linear accelerator that uses image-guided radiation therapy to safely shrink cancer cells and hard-to-reach tumors,” said Dr. Anne McCall, radiation oncologist with the Comprehensive Cancer Center at Silver Cross Hospital. “Both hi-tech machines allow for quick and accurate high-dose treatments.
The TrueBeam system often is used to deliver intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), an advanced type of radiation treatment that conforms to the shape of the tumor. With IMRT, the radiation beam is broken up into many smaller beams that can be individually adjusted to deliver varying levels of radiation intensity. University of Chicago Medicine radiation oncologists were the first in the Chicago area to offer IMRT before bringing it to Silver Cross. Combining this advanced technique with years of experience, physicians at the Comprehensive Cancer Center at Silver Cross Hospital can maintain excellent cancer control rates while limiting the long-term side effects of radiation on healthy organs.
“When treating cancer, time is of the essence,” said Dr. Daniel Golden, radiation oncologist with the Comprehensive Cancer Center at Silver Cross Hospital. “So having two linear accelerators makes it easier for patients to begin treatment even sooner.”
Every Tuesday, a group of cancer specialists meets to review and discuss breast and lung cancer patients’ medical information. They develop a recommended treatment plan which is shared with referring physicians for consideration. This saves patients valuable time meeting individually with multiple specialists who can take several weeks or even months. Instead, this multidisciplinary, collaborative approach allows patients to begin treatment within the shortest time possible.
To learn more about cancer services available close to home or to schedule an appointment with a University of Chicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center specialist at Silver Cross Hospital, call 1-855-UCM-1400 or click here.
Cancer Services available at Silver Cross Hospital
- Comprehensive cancer care for adult, gynecologic, and pediatric cancers in one convenient location
- Easy access to over 120 clinical trials
- Advanced treatment options including chemotherapy and radiation therapy
- Convenient diagnostic testing including PET/CT, 3-D mammography, CT Lung screening, breast MRI, breast ultrasound stereotactic breast biopsy
- Multi-Disciplinary Breast and Lung Cancer Conferences providing a recommended treatment plan all in one day
- Procedural care unit with advanced technology including the daVinci robot and electromagnetic navigational bronchoscopy
- Supportive programs for patients and families, including cancer support groups, nutritional counseling, yoga, preventative screenings and a comprehensive cancer resource center.
Director, Marketing & Community Relations
Silver Cross Hospital
(815) 300-7562 phone (815) 241-6002 pager
(815) 300-3561 fax
1900 Silver Cross Boulevard
New Lenox, IL 60451
Thank you for choosing Silver Cross Hospital—
A Truven 100 Top Hospitals National Award Winner for 7 years in a row.